Transportation Update - October 3, 2023
Please read this UPDATE in regards to Transportation Busing Routes.
Greetings Maple Valley Families,
We wanted to update you on our status within our transportation department. We currently have our routes covered with the contributions of loyal substitute drivers and people shifting roles daily in our transportation department. We do not have any extra coverage. One extended illness or personal need for our outstanding driver group will create a gap in our ability to provide transportation to our students.
We wanted you to be aware of this as far in advance as possible so you can make preliminary plans in case your child’s route is impacted at some point in the future. Please do the following so you can be ready if we need to inform our community of a shortage. That shortage would likely look like a single bus route cancellation for a day or more until everyone is back on duty.
- Know the names and numbers of your children’s buses in both the am and pm so you can know if you are impacted by rolling route cancellations.
- Be sure your contact information is updated in our PowerSchool system so you get timely updates.
- Tell everyone you know that we are seeking bus drivers and will train people to have the certifications they need to drive.
- Have a plan established for your family to minimize stress in case of route cancellation.
- Please celebrate our drivers and appreciate them by expressing your expectations to your children for their best possible conduct while on our buses.
What you can expect from us:
- We will try to inform the entire district of any route cancellations the night before the change if needed. There may be instances of unplanned absence when we need to send out notice in the morning, but we will work very hard to avoid that.
- We will continue to put the safety of our students first.
- We will transfer phone communications to other staff when everyone is out driving routes for us. Be aware you may be talking with building staff and be able to explain your needs with an understanding that people may be covering for others.
In gratitude for our partnership to do our best for our students,
Dr. Katherine Bertolini
Mr. Eric Chamberlain
Director of Transportation